Hi everyone - just wanted to give an update post surgery since I know that was one of the things I wanted to know when I was looking into having it done. I am 2 1/2 weeks post op and doing well.
Background: I had the right side done. Will have left side done in 6 months, it is fairly symmetrical in size. Both sides contrict jugular. When removed, styloid was 4 inches/10cm long (CT measured 6cm) and surgeon compared diameter to a construction nail so it was quite thick and long. He said they actually had to use special orthopedic tools to get it out. So I feel like I’m doing well especially considering the size of it.
At 2 1/2 weeks post op:
- Still tender to the touch in the surgery area, but no visible bruising left. Outer eyebrow, cheekbone and lesser occipital sore.
- Able to eat mostly anything now although a couple days ago I ate a sandwich and it flared up.
- Facial nerve damage affected lower lip, but getting better with time. The lip didn’t have full motion, but I only really notice it when I brush my teeth and try to spit, it doesn’t quite work right.
- Facial nerve damage affected eye: it doesn’t blink quite right. It’s like it blinks slowly and not fully so the eye gets very dry and because of that it is uncomfortable and blurry. Can’t wear contacts. Besides the pain from surgery this has been the worst side effect, but I do expect to recover fully as it is getting better already and it’s only been 2 1/2 weeks
- Pain from surgery hasn’t been terrible. Mostly feels like I got beat up lol. I think I used prescription painkillers for 3-4 days after around the clock and then only needed them once or twice a day for about a week, mainly to be able to sleep thru it. The doctor did also give a steroid pack for inflammation after which probably helped with pain.
Overall it has been a good recovery and I have already noticed that there is less of a pressure type headache and tenderness, especially on the surgery side. Tinnitus on that side is better. Some of the pain still feels the same, but it’s hard to tell if it is pain from surgery or pain from before. I think it is surgery pain. Time will tell. I hope this helps give anyone looking into surgery a bit of insight and I’ll update at the 1 month mark.