Hi BG -
This has been a rough road for you. I want to encourage you to take a “leap of faith” & get the remaining styloid removed. Jules & Sewmomma made good points - you can wait longer & risk losing a doctor you’ve come to respect & trust, but in the end, you’ll most likely need surgery to put ES to rest. My concern would be that with the amount of pain you have now, waiting will only allow the remaining styloid to do more damage. My second surgery ended up being unexpectedly easier than my first. I was able to eat solid food when I got home, my swelling was less, & my post op nerve issues were far less.
Good observation as far as the vagus nerve location goes. It is much more present on the left side than the right, & I totally agree w/ your reasoning that you are less likely to have post op vagus nerve problems this time around.
I think we forget things like labor & post op surgical pain/symptoms because we get on with our lives once we’ve passed through those waters. Our brains have no reason to dwell on a difficult past, so they move on with living in a happier present. I do acknowledge, however, that we can also learn from past experiences so as not to repeat “painful” mistakes. In your case, though, you may need to endure a little more pain to ultimately get rid of the BIGGER pain that is a more serious problem.
If you choose to wait a bit longer for surgery, there’s no problem with that. You need to be ready mentally to face surgery & the recovery challenge, but I do fear your symptoms will get worse with time. I didn’t suffer post op the way you did, so I know I’m under-appreciating how difficult this decision is for you.
I will be praying for you to have perfect clarity as to timing for the surgery & for you to feel at peace if this is the time to go for it.