Quantcast

Eagle Syndrome - Online Support Group

Does it sound like Eagle’s?

Very happy for you guys… It’s awesome that you are having less pain and I think I’m gonna schedule a consult with Dr. Samji soon. I have a question about diet because I tested negative for reflux but my throat still reacts negatively to certain foods. Why would ES be effected by spicy foods or high fat foods… I haven’t been able to locate any information on that. Again, I feel like it is probably Eagle’s but has Eagle’s ever been known to make GERD worse or somehow mess up the nerves in the throat?
Thanks,
Nick

Hi Nick,

ES can compress/irritate cranial nerves that affect your throat & digestive tract & cause them to be more sensitive in many ways. With the throat, it’s often via messing w/ the ability to swallow, but things like heat & cold sensitivity can also occur so I would speculate that sensitivity to different levels of fat or spice could join that club as well. Elongated styloids/calcified s-h ligaments can tangle w/ the vagus nerve which does innervate the gastrointestinal tract among other things. Many ES sufferers are initially diagnosed w/ & treated for GERD unnecessarily because the source is not GERD but an irritated vagus nerve. Additionally the glossopharyngeal & hypoglossal nerves are often irritated by ES. They affect the throat & tongue. As you can surmise, there would be much benefit in removing the source of irritation for all these nerves so they can settle down & heal.

I like how you say “settle down and heal”. I need constant reminders that this will take TIME to “undo” what these ligaments/styloids have “done”.

Yes, it does take time - up to a year or even more in some cases, but our bodies are designed to heal if we take care of them & that they will do in most cases! :+1: