Eagle Syndrome - Online Support Group

ES doctors in New Zealand


Hi, I am new on the site and live in New Zealand (land of Orcs and Kiwis). I am still in the diagnose stage at my local hospital here in Auckland but the specialist I am dealing with is reluctant to pursue a surgical solution, even though a contrasting CT showed I have bilaterally elongated styloid processes - both about 50mm (2 inches) long.

Does anyone know of any doctors in New Zealand that are competent in ES surgery?
I have been living with the pain for several years and really need it to be fixed.


We don’t have any doctors in New Zealand on our ES Doctors’ list but your best bet is to look for a surgeon who does skull based surgeries. Some ENT doctors do this, some doctors who specialize in cancers of the neck/throat area do as well.

You can look in the Newbies’ Guide on this site for professional articles about ES that indicate surgery is the only “cure” for this crazy syndrome & give those to your current doctor to read. In addition, you could ask if your current doctor could refer you to a surgeon who specializes in head & neck surgeries. Some people opt to leave their country & go to the nearest specialist in another country. I know this would be very expensive & not an option for many people.

I’m attaching the appropriate ES Doctors’ List for you to read over. I wish I could help you more.

OtherCountryEaglesSyndromeDoctors 2017.docx (22.5 KB)