Quantcast

Eagle Syndrome - Online Support Group

How many of you had Loss of Cervical (Neck) Lordosis?

Hi all.

I remember, when my neck started to hurt, I had a normal X-ray which showed “loss of cervical lordosis”. And to me it quite makes sense now: I cannot tilt the top of my head back, because the styloid starts pushing the neck’s tissues around the spine. Therefore my head is always slightly tilted forward, which makes the upper part of cervical spine straighter than normal. Also, the muscles get tense and the lower part of the cervical spine also gets straighter.

Did anyone of you get similar diagnosis on your way towards discovering the Eagle’s?

I have limited neck mobility anyway following a whiplash injury, so can’t say it’s ES related!

vdm -

It sounds like you haven’t had ES surgery yet. Is that correct? I’m sorry if you’re still suffering w/ this painful syndrome & hope you’re able to get help soon.

I haven’t had one, the current situation isn’t that bad after having understood the bio mechanics underneath and improving the lifestyle. So now I’m just living, looking for options around and waiting until the time when I won’t be able to cope with the symptoms anymore and surgery will be inevitable.
Until then at least I will learn as much as possible about all of this.
Loss of lordosis showed up on one of those reports that I have quite a few from the pre-diagnosis times, and was repeatedly mentioned a few times later.
As a side thing, I like playing with Human Anatomy Atlas program. It gives quite a good understanding how some nerves, ligament, muscles, nerves, bones, blood vessels are laid out around the neck area and what possible impact might be when the head is in one or another position, and what can be pinched by the styloid.

Hi vdm,

So glad your symptoms are tolerable so far. I recall someone (was it you?), in the past, posting a picture of a CT scan showing lordotic loss in the neck. It was very interesting to see the cervical vertebrae in a straight line & missing the expected curve. Does that cause any pain or stiffness w/ head movement or in your shoulders or arms or farther down your back?

Good for you for doing anatomical studies. Human anatomy is very fascinating. Knowing & understanding the layout of your body, especially the neck, area will do nothing but help you as you go forward on this journey. I’ll look up the Human Anatomy Atlas program. I have subscribed to several educational anatomy sites myself. :+1:

:blush:

Hello vdm
My CT & MRI scan show my cervical spine to be almost reversed curve! And yes, it is causing me problems. I have appt with my neuro surgeon on July 31st to confirm everything with my husband in attendance. I plan to move forward with scheduling the much needed surgery on my cervical spine. I am running short on the ability to handle the pain these days and the never ending clicking and grinding is making me crazy as well. Terrified to have someone cutting on my spine, but it seems there is no choice at this point. I’m also not real fond of him going in through the front of my neck! He says they just push things to the side and from there it’s pretty easy access. That all sounds just awful to me as I am pretty sure that will irritate the crap out of the ES! :roll_eyes:

Hi kiZe6159 -

Good to see a post from you! The pastor at the church I attend had neck surgery through the front of his neck several years ago. It fixed what ailed him, & his recovery wasn’t excessively long. Granted he didn’t have ES, but you can’t even tell he ever had neck surgery. It’s too bad the neuro surgeon can’t just remove the styloids & s-h ligaments while he’s in there. It would be great to have it all done at once but would probably be a horrific recovery.

I’m sorry you have two major things to deal w/ & both in the same area of your body. I can imagine dealing w/ the pain is very challenging.

Hi kiZe6159,

Having both of these issuses is a tough one for sure, I am so sorry ughhh! I did not see any reference in this post as to if your neurosurgeon is aware of the ES as well or his/her thoughts about that piece?

It is very common to have surgery in the front of the neck (verses the back) to address your cervical piece and pain management is typically smooth for people after the usual post op pain from the incision and swelling recedes. One of the more common side effect is temporary mild loss of voice and/or swallowing difficulty as they will gently move your wind pipe and esophagus aside to reach your spine (you can move both to the side and feel the front of your spine with your fingers - it is quite superficial which is why this approach is preferred) Isn’t it so crazy how they speak so nonchalantly about “pushing things aside”… please people! but in their mind that is mechanically what happens, only ther really are much gentler :joy: But in fact, your long time neck pain should be much much better almost immediately. It would be good to pass the ES by your surgeon when you see him just so there are no big surprises for either of you (sorry if I missed something here)

I hope this is helpful. Keep hanging in there, you are not alone! Sending all good your way :purple_heart:

Great info, JustBreathe. I learned something new from what you posted. Thank you for that!

1 Like