Quantcast

Eagle Syndrome - Online Support Group

Https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/cns.13148

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/cns.13148

For those who have vascular Eagle’s - it may be known as “Cervical spondylotic internal jugular venous compression syndrome”.

This is exactly what my neurologist called it after reviewing my CT before sending me to the surgeon :sweat_smile:

Thanks VDM, will have a read, sounds very helpful!

Hooray for complicated names to describe vascular compression caused by ES!! :crazy_face:

I was absolutely astonished that the article never mentions “Eagle’s syndrome” nor uses any sources to it in the reference list. And maybe for good. As we all know, some doctors simply “don’t believe” in Eagle’s as it sounds like healing magnets magic stones. Though they might believe in “Cervical spondylotic internal jugular venous compression syndrome”.

2 Likes

Caveat: I am not a doctor, BUT after perusing the article, I wonder if the resection of the transverse process(es) (TP) of the C1 vertebra was necessary in every case.

The 3D image presented in the top picture set (below) shows a person with extremely elongated styloid processes & IJV compression. The styloid in the 3D image in the bottom picture set (below) is harder to see, but the caption states the IJV compression is being caused by the left styloid.

I propose from this, & other information in the article, that it may be unidentified Eagle Syndrome causing the compression in both cases & that the removal/shortening of the TP of the C1 vertebra was unnecessary. If the styloid process(es) alone were removed, the patient could potentially have the same result as w/ resection of both styloid & TP of C1. The surgery would be less complex & recovery easier w/ only styloid resection.

Caveat: I have no doubt that there are cases where the TP(s) of C1 can interfere w/ vascular tissues in the area. They are subject to the same “laws” of calcification as are the styloids i.e. if the body senses extra support is needed in the area due to repetitive motion or other injury, aging, etc., it will be laid down, & thus the TPs could eventually extend into the space where the IJVs “live” & cause a problem. My concern here is that, at least in some cases, unnecessary surgery was done.

Neuroimaging features of right IJVS induced by the C1 transverse mass. Sagittal (A), axial (B), and 3D reconstructive (D) CTV images revealing the right transverse mass of C1 compression on the right IJV. MRV © revealing the right IJV‐J3 segment stenosis accompanied by substantially abnormal collateral veins

Neuroimaging features of left IJVS induced by the styloid process. Axial, (A) and 3D reconstructive (B) CTV images showing the left IJVS present the left styloid process compression on the left IJV. MRV © and CTV (D) showing the left IJV‐J3 segment stenosis accompanied by substantially abnormal collateral veins