Quantcast

Eagle Syndrome - Online Support Group

Some times i get so scared of the symptoms

I am diagnosed ES and are getting surgery next wednesday 9th january. It has been easier to handle the symptoms now I know what causes it. I have right side facepain, earpain, swallowing a lot, lump in throat, mucus, pain in right tonsil, swollen neck, arm and shoulder pain, eye feeling weird etc.
But some days are harder. Because of the ES I sleep bad. When I lie down, I get a strange feeling in my head. Like a vibrating, tingeling sensation. Some days I also have a vibrating sensation in arms and chest. I feel it is hard to breathe, I feel a bit nauseous and some stomach ache.
Both my styloids are aprox 4 cm and I can feel my right under my tonsil.
Some days, like today, I find it hard to believe that my styloids can make me feel so sick :pensive:.
Just needed to get it of my chest

Hi Northstar,

That’s why we’re here! ES is a funny ailment because the symptoms come & go & change & new ones show up to add to what’s already there. The funny feeling in your head could mean that when you’re lying down, you’re getting some vascular compression. You might try sleeping w/ your head elevated. That could help.

Your accessory nerve innervates your shoulders & arms, & your vagus nerve affects heart rate, some gastrointestinal functions & can influence anxiety levels. These 2 cranial nerves are often irritated by elongated styloids or calcified s-h ligaments so your shoulder/arm pain & stomach ache might be related to that.

I’m so glad your surgery is soon. Do you know if your doctor will do your styloidectomy externally or intraorally? If it’s external, try to have a discussion to let your surgeon know you’d like your styloids removed at your skull base, & you’d like your stylohyoid ligaments removed. This is the best way to prevent future problems w/ ES.

Most doctors do not do bilateral surgery but require 2 separate surgeries in bilateral cases because of the amount of swelling that occurs in the throat post op. However, there have been forum members who’ve had successful bilateral surgeries. It does take a bit longer to recover though.

I hope you have a wonderful year of healing & feeling good again in 2019.

Happy New Year a little early!

I had dreadful vascular symptoms at times & it had got pretty scary before my surgery, so I know how you feel, but not long to go now…nights were the worst & I did end up sleeping in a recliner chair quite often!
There’s lots of info in the Newbies Guide about what to expect after surgery if you’ve not already read it which should help prepare you.
Hope it goes well; as Isaiah says it sounds like you may have some vascular symptoms, & there can be improvements quickly after surgery with those. Thinking of you, & feel free to vent on here in the mean time as we do understand!

Thank you for your replys. It is calming to know that Im not alone feeling this way. I feel like im trapped in a body that dont work like it used to do, I just want to be me again.
I dont know the details yet, just got the date. Will get the details later this week after the hollyday ends on wednesday.
Happy new year!

On some of my worst days before I had a “plan” I would say things like “I’m so frustrated with the body I have to walk around in all day, it’s broken!” We’re all trying to “fix” things together here! :heart:

Northstar you may want to consider investing in a recliner as well. Don’t fight laying down to sleep, try sleeping sitting up or partially reclined. With all the holiday sales you should be able to find one for a good price.

Nothing is more important than sleep, especially when recovering from surgery!

azurelle

It is so hard when your body doesn’t let you do the things you have to do much less the things you love to do. I think most of us have been there or are still struggling with it. One of the worst problems is your loved ones not understanding what you’re going through. Just know that there is light at the end of the tunnel and there are people on this site that will let you rant and get things off of your chest and maybe give you some advise that could help. I think most of us believe that this is under diagnosed and there are too many Dr’s that think it’s so rare that it can’t be what’s causing your symptoms. That’s why most of us have gone years without getting properly diagnosed and then once diagnosed more years trying to find a Dr to help.

May God bless you in this New Year and may 2019 find you relief.