Surgery painful?

I was just reading that the surgery is painful…is it? How painful? Is the external one better than the internal one? My lump I feel is on the outside under my jaw…how long is recovery?

Kendra- I think that most people find after the pain they’ve been in with ES, that the surgery isn’t as painful as that! Certainly for me it wasn’t as bad as I was expecting. A lot of people go on to have their second side done- so that shows you that it can’t be grim as people wouldn’t have a second op! From what I can gather, the internal surgery seems to be more painful; as the tonsils have to be removed if they’re still in, so it’s effectively having a tonsillectomy as an adult.
There have been a lot of discussions about surgery in the past; on the old site you could search the discussions for topics you’re interested in and get info that way, but still getting to grips with this new format, so I’m not sure if you can do that here… If you look in the ‘general’ section, there have been a couple of discussions recently, as Bella has just had surgery and there’s some info in there you might find helpful to read.

I don’t think the surgeries were nearly as painful as having eagles. I had one surgery where the doctor messed up my nerves pretty bad. He had never done an eagles surgery before and that surgery was pretty hard to recover from. But my other surgeries were pretty easy recoveries and I was back at work within 2 weeks. I ate soft food for a couple days and took it very easy for a week until I flew home. I took opiate pain medications for about a week I think. Then I switched to over the counter pain medications for a couple weeks after that. I continued the nerve pain medication I was on throughout the whole process.

People who had the surgery almost always report that the surgery wasn’t nearly as bad as they thought it would be.

1 Like